Call for Submissions 2017
Not Art Records is pleased to announce its second annual call for submissions. Our aim for this call is to discover recorded works that represent quality and genuine innovation in electronics-oriented composition. One entry will be selected for a commercial release of 2 to 6 pieces. Up to five additional entries will be featured on our 2018 Mixtape.
Not Art Records is a digital platform supporting composers, improvisers, and ensembles. Our artists include Grammy winner Cory Smythe (of International Contemporary Ensemble), Heather Stebbins, Ubu Boi, and many more.
Deadline: 11:59pm EST, December 1st 2017
Submission Fee: $15
- Composers should submit between 2 and 6 works, with a minimum total playing time of 10 minutes.
- Electronics must be used in the creation of the works, but needn’t make up the entirety of the sound. We are equally open to purely electronics submissions and those that utilize acoustic elements.
- We welcome acousmatic works, electro-acoustic works, installations, and all other electronics-oriented sound art genres.
- Submissions must be in two channel stereo.
- Applicants may be of any nationality and age.
- We can not accept any hard copy submissions at this time.
- All works submitted must not be already available for purchase or download online, now or at anytime in the past.
- If selected, we ask that chosen works are taken down from any present streaming sites (soundcloud, youtube, etc).
Selected works will be exclusively distributed and sold by the label for a minimum of three years. Copyrights will remain with the creator.
The submission chosen for commercial release will receive:
- The release of their submitted work at no further cost to the creator
- 80% of all sales
- Artwork and design by collage artist Brook Herr
- Digital distribution, including Amazon, Apple Music, Spotify, Itunes, Bandcamp, and others
- Introductory publicity on the release, included press releases and audio samples sent to appropriate potential reviewers, blogs, and other digital media. Artists are encouraged engage in this process with us.
- Publicity via Not Art Records social media accounts
- Links to submitted recordings, as Mp3s, WAVs, or AIFFs. We suggest googledrive, dropbox, or unlisted Youtube. There is a video here on how to do this with Googledrive. Password protection is not required but feel free to do so if you prefer, you can add the password in the form below. If you have any technical issues pasting the links onto the form please email us at email@example.com.
- Description of the submitted work, up to 500 words
- Optional URL for your website, or whatever social media page you feel best represents you
- Submission fee of $15. The fee goes toward artwork, distribution, and promotion of the selected entry.
- If you are interested in supporting our cause, please like our Facebook Page.